blog expat

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ireland @ Euro 2012

I love football... Not to the same extent as a lot of my friends and family  but only where club football is concerned.
From an early age my family followed Liverpool (this stemmed from the fact that my Granny had a thing for Kenny Dalglish in the 70's) and like everyone else, as a child I followed them fanatically along with Shamrock Rovers in the League of Ireland. As the years moved on though, I lost interest, the money side of things and the lack of any real heart in the players kinda killed it for me...

One thing I never lost interest in though, was International football. Anyone that knows Irish football fans know they are some of the best in the world. Every time we reach the finals of a major tournament we are credited by international football associations  and the governing bodies ;for our friendliness, our behaviour and our general passion for supporting our team.. I can say in all honesty that we are the life and soul of the party at every tournament we play at!

This passion for supporting our country transfers to our players too. We're not exactly the strongest of teams but what we lack in skill and finesse, we more than make up for in heart and pride in wearing the green and white. Every player playing for Ireland does so to the absolute best of their ability and they put their heart into it, something that is absent from club football nowadays.

We have been unlucky in recent years but when Ireland actually qualify for a major tournament the mood of the country changes. Everybody gets behind the team and everybody at home is in high spirits. I remember faintly our first and only time at the Euros, I was no more than six and all I can remember is my Dad screaming at the TV and then jumping around like a lunatic (which I later learned was because of Ray Houghtons' goal that beat England).

My most vivid memory though, is that of Italia 90... Going through the streets of Dublin was like being at a giant carnival. Every house had Ireland flag bunting, lamp-posts, telephone posts and kerbs were painted green, white and orange and I distinctly remember a few people that had litterally painted their cars green, white and orange with cans of Dulux. When we beat Romania on penalties and Pat 'Packie' Bonner saved that penalty and David O'Leary finished them off, I remember everyone on my street going crazy. The parents from every house gathered on the road to have a few drinks and celebrate (back when you knew all of your neighbours) and all of the kids ran around for hours hysterically flying the flags and singing Olé Olé (we're all part of Jackie's Army)... It was mass hysteria!! But great times! Unfortunately Toto Schillachi broke our heart's in the quarter finals...
Jack Charlton and the team however, arrived back in Dublin a few days later to over a million people in the streets... They were heroes and in my eyes (and most other peoples eyes) they were now legends too!! To this day, Jackie Charlton is the most beloved Englishman in Ireland!

A few years later Jack took us to USA 94. First game against Italy, a wonder shot from Ray Houghton lobbed Pagliuca to exact revenge over the Azzuri and the game finished 1-0. It was a great start and overall a good tournament and good memories.

A few years later in Saipan at the Japan and Korea world cup with former defensive rock Mick McCarthy in charge, the commotion over the Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy dispute looked likely to overshadow the tournament. In the end though Keane went home, the team pulled together and we qualified for the last 16, only to be beaten on penalties by Spain. I was in Spain at the time. If I'm honest, some tears were shed. It didn't help that I was smack bang in the middle of the winning teams supporters!

That would be the last tournament we would attend up to now and with the heartache of loosing in such unfair circumstances against France (we hate you Thiery Henry) to qualify for South Africa 2010, qualifying this year has been a huge boost!

So here we are, just over a week to go to the game against Croatia and I've been following the media regarding the tournament meticulously. Unfortunately though. I've just found out that The Stone Roses come on stage at the same time that the second half between Ireland and Spain kicks off... I know this is probably the only chance I'll ever get to see The Roses live but I have the feeling that if that half is likely to affect our chances of qualification from the group, I think I know where I'll be!!

Come on Ireland!!!!


Till my next scrawlings...

Do chara, do mhac, do dheartháir,

Damien

No comments:

Post a Comment

blog expat