blog expat

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Cost of Moving Abroad & Mauritius Security Advise (23 Days to Go)

So 23 days to go and I'm starting to realise how expensive moving out of the UK is actually gonna be!

I got my Vodafone bill today and on top of my standard tarriff the additional costs for calling Ireland, Johannesburg and Mauritius has added another £120, I mean really, a phone bill for £173, isnt that disgusting!! I feel violated! Then when I factor in how much they're gonna charge for finishing my contract early it looks like I'll be paying close to £400, what a bunch of gangsters! (You can probably tell I'm not best pleased).

Then to add further pain to my bank account I've been getting quotes for shipping my stuff back to Ireland, every one of them was over £100... It's looking like I'll be dipping into overdrafts/credit cards for the first month or so... Not the favoured option.

Getting my Epilepsy meds sorted is also causing a bit of an annoyance, I cant understand why it's so difficult to issue a prescription for 4 months???  So now I need to go down there again tonight to sort it out, why it can't be sorted over the phone is beyond me! Thankfully I've been in touch with the Epilepsy society in Mauritius and they've said Epilepsy meds are available easily and free of charge, so if I'm stuck I should be able to get sorted over there.


Anyway, I'll move on from this or I'll just become more annoyed. Got an e-mail from the new job's HR Department. It basically consisted of 'security advise' and general tips etc.

Now not that it worries me in any way, but some of the points in the security advise section were a bit odd? Maybe they're just covering all possibilities, and most of it would apply to most countries I suppose but I might be a little bit more cautious now that I've read it...

This is the first part of the document I was sent:


"Mauritius

Security Advice
GENERAL ADVICE
  • Dress as inconspicuously as possible and avoid ostentatious displays of wealth. Avoid displaying money, wearing jewellery or carrying valuables such as laptop computers or cameras.
  • Never mention that you are travelling alone or give out personal information.
  • Be aware of the city’s geography and avoid high-crime areas (often lower-income districts) if possible.
  • Avoid disputes, demonstrations, political rallies and commotions on the street. Do not stay to watch or photograph them.
  • Ignore verbal ‘bait’ from passers-by – do not get into an argument – and avoid eye contact with strangers.
  • If lost, do not stand in the street consulting a map – go to a busy shop and ask for directions, or consult the map there inconspicuously.
  • Always carry some form of communication equipment, such as a cellular phone programmed with numbers that would be useful in an emergency (police, embassy etc).
  • Memorise important local phrases (yes, no, how much, stop here etc).
  • Avoid walking in city streets after dark, especially if alone. If you are walking, take only brightly-lit, busy streets.
  • Always be alert to your surroundings. Be wary of loiterers and remember that attackers often pass their victim and then attack them from behind.
  • If you suspect that you are being followed, enter any busy public place and call for help.
  • Limit alcohol intake – individuals are more vulnerable to attack if they have been drinking.
  • Never accept food or drinks from strangers. Criminals often use such opportunities to drug victims.
  • Do not use public transport at night.
  • Use only accredited taxi services with radio communication.
  • Distribute cash in more than one pocket, and keep a small amount in a top pocket to hand over to a criminal who confronts you. A dummy wallet – with a small amount of local currency, an expired credit card and some useless receipts – can be useful to satisfy a mugger.
  • Where possible, obtain small denominations of currency and keep the bulk of cash and cards in a money belt, which should only be accessed in private places.
  • If attacked, co-operate with assailants and do not make eye contact or sudden movements. Resistance is more likely to provoke violence.
ADDITIONAL ADVICE FOR WOMEN
  • Dress modestly to avoid drawing attention. Observe and respect local clothing customs.
  • Be aware that you may be stared at if travelling alone. Ignore any propositions or suggestive comments.
  • Avoid eye contact with strangers, especially on the street and on public transport (consider wearing sunglasses). In some cultures, eye contact with a man is considered a sign that you want his company.
  • Avoid walking through isolated roads and parks at any time of the day. Do not travel on public transport after dark without a known male companion.
  • Try to enter taxis at hotel entrances instead of hailing them on the street. Alternatively, hire a car and driver from a reputable company.
  • If alone, restrict evening entertainment to five-star hotels or membership clubs.
  • Be prepared to ask trusted contacts to accompany you to your car, a taxi or your hotel after dark.
  • Ensure that hotel room numbers remain confidential. Do not display the room's key tag in public areas, and stress that the room number should not be given to any inquirers. When checking in, ask the receptionist to write the room number down, rather than tell you within earshot of other people.
  • Insist that the hotel room has a key-chain, deadlock and spy-hole, and that the door and window locks work properly.
  • Never open the door to anyone without taking precautions. If someone claims to be a member of staff, get their name and department and check.
IN THE EVENT OF AN INCIDENT
  • Never head towards an incident or disturbance, and be careful about taking photographs. Find whatever safety you can.
  • In the immediate aftermath, make reasonable attempts to account for other members of your party. If you are in a group, stay together.
  • Make an immediate and sustained attempt to communicate out. Mobile communications might break down as the volume of traffic increases following an incident. SMS texts or landline services are an alternative.
  • If you can, get away from an affected area to a place of safety, such as a major international hotel, a diplomatic mission, hospital or known office location.
  • If necessary, medical assistance should be sought without delay. Any injured people should be accompanied to hospital and you should find out where any injured people will be taken. If you can, seek advice on any private medical facilities.
  • Once at a place of safety, continue to communicate. Even when telephone lines are down, email and broadband links sometimes stay in operation. If communications have failed altogether, take whatever steps you can to get a message to the nearest diplomatic mission.
  • Do not leave the place of safety without notifying someone of your plans. Attempt to identify other foreigners similarly affected, stay together and pool resources. In general, avoid the temptation to relocate, certainly without ensuring that the route is clear and informing someone outside of your plans.
  • The priority at this stage is security and communications rather than extraction."

Interesting stuff no?


So I just need to concentrate on getting my stuff packed now. The plan was to sell as much as possible but a combination of procrastination and lack of time means I havent gotten around to doing that. So until I'm fully packed and I know exactly what needs to be shipped, I can't get a precise shipping quote. Hopefully I can get it done before Friday in time for a Saturday collection.

I should also get my licence in the post tomorrow, then I can get the forms for the International Permit sent off. The sooner the better this stuff is all sorted cos at the moment I'm as stressed as a cat at a fireworks display!


Anyhoo... till my next scrawlings.
Do chara, do mhac, do dheartháir,



Damien

No comments:

Post a Comment

blog expat